What a yummy dish this was! It is basically your regular Au Gratin, with two special ingredients! This Mushroom Potato Au Gratin has the regular suspects: potatoes, heavy cream, parmesan, and the special ingredients of mushrooms and smoked bacon & onion sea salt! Those two changed the entire game on this one!
This here was the extra super secret ingredient… and it comes from an Olive Oil Company in Blue Ridge, aptly called the Blue Ridge Olive Oil Company. I don’t see it for sale in their online store, so you might just have to make your way to Noth Georgia to visit and get your own!
It is pretty simple to make and kicks up your regular Au Gratin several notches.
If you don’t have this special salt, I found one here: but I can’t vouch for it – it looks the same as mine, but you never know! It really changes the game for this dish though, so maybe give it a try???
Mushroom Potato Au Gratin
- 10 lb bag Youkon Gold Potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Parmesean
- 2 Packages Button Mushrooms - sliced thin
- 8 Pinches Smoked Bacon & Onion Sea Salt
- Butter for greasing the pan
- Heat your oven to 350.
- Add a layer of potatoes to the bottom, sprinkle the salt on the potatoes. Sprinkle parm, and then add a layer of mushrooms. Pour on a portion of the cream, and then continue layering with the same combination until you end up with potatoes on top, and pour cream, sprinkle parm and salt to finish it off.
- Cover with foil and cook for 40 mins. Then take the foil off and continue to cook for another 15 mins until it is golden brown and bubbling.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.