Oh – where did you get that fancy toaster you ask?It is a SMEG and it was a complete splurge – I had a gift certificate and decided to go for it. My Dad has recently been to visit us and complained about our toaster which was about 20 years old. So, I figured it was time to get a new one and man, what a difference! Mine came from Williams-Sonoma, because that was where my gift certificate was from – but you can find it on Amazon here, if you like! It is such a statement piece and I get tons of compliments on it!
Back to the recipe!Once the shrooms and onions were blended together, I mixed it all together in the same pan with the cauliflower. I gave it a taste and added about another tablespoon of the Roasted Garlic Base in, and then about 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream, and it was done! I had some bacon that I had cooked before, so I just warmed that up in a pan and let it sit for a minute and then crushed it up with my fingers and added it to the top of the soup. So delish! Gluten Free, Keto… this recipe fits it all! The vegetables do the thickening for you. Enjoy!
You might also like this creamy mushroom soup…
Cauliflower & Mushroom Soup
Keto & Gluten Free Soup! Let the veggies do the thickening for you!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 head – Cauliflower – cut into florets
- 1 medium – Vidalia Onion – sliced
- 1 tbsp – Butter
- 2 tsp – Onion Powder
- 8 medium – Baby Portobello Mushrooms – chopped (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups – Water
- 2 tbsp – Roasted Garlic Better Than Bullion Base
- 3 tbsp – Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp – Maldon Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper to Taste
- 4 strips – Cooked Bacon crumbled for Topping
- Boil cauliflower for about 10 minutes, until fork tender.
- Slice and saute onions in butter, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste until translucent, on medium heat. Probably about 10 minutes. Add in chopped mushrooms. Saute for another 5 – 10 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
- Drain and then add cauliflower to a blender and add in 2 cups of water. Blend on high, gradually leading up to high on your blender for about 5 minutes, until smooth.
- Put mushrooms and onions on a bowl, and then add the blended cauliflower to the pan and heat on med-low. Blend the mushrooms and onions with a tablespoon of the roasted garlic bullion. Blend this until smooth too – taste it for smoothness.
- Add this mixture to the cauliflower, and mix together. Taste it and add more garlic bullion as necessary, depending on your taste. This is a bit salty, so add in a little at a time. Add in the heavy cream. Stir together.
- Heat and then crumble the bacon for garnish – if you like! Chives would work great here too to keep it veggie!
Yummy Mushroom Soup
This mushroom soup tastes so good and creamy, you will keep coming back for more!
Servings 6 people
- 3 containers Button Mushrooms pre-sliced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 6 tbsp Butter Salted or unsalted - your choice
- 2 medium Vidalia Onions
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tbsp Dried Dill
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 6 dollops Sour Cream optional
- Dice two onions and sauté in Olive Oil. Add a dash of salt and pepper to the onions as they are cooking. Let them sit on a medium burner for at least 10 minutes, but probably more until they are translucent - this can take some time, so be patient! While the onions are cooking, put the butter in a separate smaller sauté pan to brown.
- Now, you are not BURNING the butter, you are just bringing out the nutty flavor from the butter by browning it. Cook it on medium heat and swirl it frequently so it doesn't turn black. This can take a while, and it can bubble up quite a bit, which is no problem. You just don't want the temp so high that it burns.
- Once the butter is browned and your onions are see through... add in the thyme and dill.
- Add in the mushrooms on top of the onions, and then the brown butter on top of the mushrooms.
- Stir and let these cook for about another 5 minutes, then add in two cups of the chicken stock. Let that all cook until the mushrooms are tender, about another 10 mins.
- Blend it in at least two batches and add in chicken stock as needed. Blend on high, but build up to high as you go - start low and then get to high. Blend until you can't see the herbs floating around. Once done, add it back to the pan to re-heat and serve with a dollop of sour cream.